Ammar Shallal is Certified Professional Resume Writer and the Senior Internship Coordinator for the Dream Careers Washington, DC program. With over ten years of placement experience, Ammar has been credited with hundreds of internship placements.
I was born and raised in suburban DC and to be honest, I wasn't the biggest fan growing up. You know that feeling of wanting to leave home to go out and explore? That hit me real hard after high school, but DC has had a way of pulling me back, and I'm not alone. DC has been one of the fastest growing cities in the past ten years, and there are a lot of reasons why. Here is my list of the Top 7 Reasons you should consider DC for your summer internship this year:
- It's an election year – Whether you live and die by politics or you are just an innocent bystander on Facebook, there's no way to avoid Decision 2016. It doesn't matter if you are a Republican or a Democrat this election has been wild and it's only going to get crazier this summer. With both parties nominating their candidates in July you know things in DC will be non-stop, and the interns will be getting front row seats. Not to mention the vacant seat on the Supreme Court, buckle up!
- Relive your favorite TV Shows – Washington DC has become the backdrop for many TV shows and movies including House of Cards, Scandal, Veep, 24, Real Housewives of DC, and Homeland. This summer is your chance to experience it all first hand.
- Proximity to Everything - The DC Program housing is an 11-minute walk to the White House (it doesn't get better than that), 10 Minutes to the National Mall, 4 Blocks from 3 different Metro Lines. From the moment you walk out your front door, you are virtually in the center of the city. Not to mention the safest part of the city as well.
- The 4th of July Fireworks – Think you've seen fireworks before? Wait till you see them from the base of the Lincoln Memorial in the Capital of the Free World. You're welcome...
- The Internships – Did you know that Internships were born in Washington, DC? Back in the 1940's and 50's Congressmen started hiring interns to help them with correspondence with their constituents. Internships have become a vital training grounds for world leaders to mentor the leaders of the future, and it is estimated that over 15,000 interns descend on DC each summer. So what does that mean for you? It means that internships are part of the fabric of DC's culture. Companies and organization don't hire interns to get coffee and lunch; they DEPEND on them to complete critical tasks and work that they need to get done.
- The Food – The DC Foodie Scene has exploded with top Chefs in the world descending on DC to leave their mark. From Georgetown Cupcakes to Rasika and Minibar there's no shortage of incredible restaurants. The other significant advantage of the DC program is that the tuition includes breakfast and dinner Monday through Friday each week. You get to pick from a bunch of neighborhood restaurants with various cuisines from Thai food to Gourmet sandwiches. If you prefer to pick up your groceries, you can use the meal vouchers at the local Whole Foods down the street.
- The People – Back in 2004 I was in your exact position, looking for an internship, and what I found was so much more. 12 years later I'm getting married later this summer and two of my Groomsmen are from my Dream Careers program. The people you meet in Dream Careers are from all over the country and the world. Some of them will be your future roommates, professional references, drinking buddies and friends that last much longer than just the summer.
It's internship season, so don't wait any longer. Learn more about the Washington DC Internship Program today and get a headstart on your career.